Vermont Land Use Attorneys
Vermont has a well-earned reputation for its natural beauty, historic character, environmental protection and quality of life. These qualities provide some of the finest recreational opportunities, scenic beauty, environmental quality and personal security in New England and country. Vermont also guards these desirable attributes with a thorough and complex system of state and local land use regulations.
If you need help with a sophisticated or complex development project, call us. We have what it takes—the training and experience—to assist you through even the most challenging of issues.
Our firm has one of Vermont’s largest and most experienced practice areas in land use and development. Each of our senior land use attorneys has more than 20 years’ experience guiding clients through the intricacies of:
Municipal zoning and planning
Vermont Agency of Natural Resources regulatory programs
Comprehensive Vermont land use law
Federal land use regulatory programs, including federal wetlands and water quality regulations
We have a comprehensive and detailed working knowledge of the laws, practices and policies of the regulatory programs, and a reputation among the administrators of the regulatory programs for thoroughness and professionalism.
We can help you prepare and present application materials for local, state and federal land use and development permits and approvals, identification and coordination of technical consultants and expert witnesses, representation before local, state and federal agencies, regulatory authorities, boards and courts.
We have successfully represented clients in major development projects including shopping centers, industrial parks and buildings, ski area development, resort, residential and multi-family housing, assisted living facilities, mineral extraction, quarrying and processing, and numerous other residential, industrial and commercial development projects.
Our experience and expertise includes the following fields:
- Municipal Zoning and Planning
- Vermont Agency of Natural Resources Permit Programs, including
- Water Supply Regulations
- Wastewater Disposal Regulations
- Water Quality Regulations
- Air Quality Regulations
- Stormwater Management Regulations
- Wetlands Regulations and Policies
- Streambank Management Programs
- Wildlife Habitat Protection Policies
- Solid Water Management Regulations
- Act 250, Vermont’s Land Use and Development Law, including:
- Wastewater disposal, water supply and stormwater management impacts
- Traffic and associated impacts
- Impacts on municipalities and school systems
- Economic impact assessment
- Aesthetic impact assessment
- Natural resources, natural areas and wildlife habitat impacts
- Impacts on agricultural and forestry resources
- Conformance with municipal and regional plans
- Federal Land Use Regulations, including
- Water Quality
- Vermont Land Use and Environmental Assessments, Compliance and Due Diligence